Tuesday 15 November 2011

Happy birthday dear Xbox, happy birthday to you

It was a cheap deal on the original Xbox that brought me to where I am today.  Tore me from my Nintendo fanboy roots.

My local Blockbuster was selling a pre-owned Xbox with ten games for £60 not long before the 360 was released and as I was still playing Rogue Leader on my Gamecube I bought it.

Excitedly I ran home where I discovered the wonders of Fable and Halo 2.  I even took it round to my friend's house to play over Xbox Live a few times because I didn't have broadband back then.  I'd been playing online on my PC for years but it still managed to blow me away at the time.

Some years later I decided I'd sell my original Xbox and put some money together to get a cheap 360 I'd seen on Amazon.  It was pre-owned, didn't come with a hard-drive and, little did I know, a dodgy power cable that had to be in a specific position to work.  I foolishly paid £170 for this package thinking I could play my original Xbox games on it.  I couldn't, so back to Blockbuster I went.

I saved more and eventually bought a replacement power supply, after the faulty one literally exploded while my friend was trying to fix it, and a hard-drive so I could actually save games as opposed to my tactic of renting a game and attempting to finish it in a single play through.  The first full 360 game I bought was Halo 3.  It was worth all the trouble and even the money just to experience Halo 3.

Some time later I got broadband in my home and bought a 12 month subscription to Xbox Live.  I started to beef up my games catalogue and even make friends online whom I still play with and some of which I've met recently.

Thanks to Xbox I've waged wars, fought evil, solved puzzles, manipulated time, become a hero and made real friends while doing all of this.

Happy birthday Xbox.  I hope you have many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment